Module 10: Final Vision Project Design Considerations

 Introduction 

Leading from the library mentions "Information and digital tools are changing at an amazing pace, many great unknowns in the world as teachers, parents, administrators and students are looking for guidance on how to navigate this ever-changing technological landscape" (Miller & Bass, 2019). One of the LeadingLibs Challenge really resonated with me was "Review your school's stratefic plan and identify where you might offer direct support". I believe in the power of social media to help others understand new technological platforms. 

I believe both Tiktok and Youtube can help support the learning of the community! 

TikTok is the platform I am hoping to choose for my Vision of the Future because of how popular the App is! (Yang et al, 2019) mentioned that Tiktok implements the function of accurately pushing content according to users’ preferences and needs. This means when we upload a video about teaching teachers or the community about the up-and-coming new technology, if the audience interacts with our video, they will continue to get more videos from us or other creators for similar content. The interface is also simple to use such as the mobile phone user can switch videos by sliding up or returning by sliding down (Yang et al, 2019). The number has grown from 1.1 million users to 500 million in 2019 (Yang et al, 2019). There is also a range of videos on Tiktok that can serve as tutorials to help users learn certain skills like DIY videos (Do it yourself), cooking videos, workouts and more! This range is perfect because I feel that when I upload content in regards to Learning Commons as the BC curriculum shifts, it will be familiar to the audience as it is typical to have tutorials on TikTok. The interaction on the platform is great because the more likes on the video or shares and comments the more the video gets pushed to other people’s feeds (Yang & Zilberg, 2020). I think Tiktok is a great way to support learning for other TLs, Teachers and the community because Tiktok is also known to boost moods such as stress, and fatigue because of the fun and short content available (Yang & Zilberg, 2020). The rapid development of the internet allows people to open up TikTok while waiting for the bus or queuing up for food (Tang, 2019). Hence, I believe TikTok can support learning in schools! 


Youtube is another platform that I would consider because since 2005 it has been one of the largest platforms for accessing, searching and watching video contents with over 1.9M monthly users (Pires, 2021). Youtube more than Google was found to be many teens main search engine (Pires, 2021) hence it would be great to tap into this resource when developing a common social media page to spread news about technology usage and school news!


With the above and in regards to ISTE, there is a standard to recognize the rights, responsibilities and opportunities of learning and working in an interconnected digital world. To engage in positive, safe, legal and ethical behaviour while using technology including social interactions online. To set boundaries when using social media for school related postings. (ISTE, 2023).



Objective and Ideas 


I will have a tik tok page dedicated to uploading short videos to update the teachers on new technologies. I’ve just started a new account on tiktok to further post videos for my Final Vision Project. 



Envisions

I envisioned my Tiktok page format having various sorts of videos to update teachers and the community about upcoming new technology platforms or current events! The audiences are teachers, administrative staff, students, parents and other community members. There could also be time for spotlighting such as the one below where teachers or librarians can share what their day in life is like. Some Ideas could be : 

  • Top 5 new technology platforms for your classroom 

  • Day in life of a librarian 

  • Day in life of a grade 6 teacher 

  • Happy Holidays! Check out the Library’s decorations 

  • Sports Day is Coming Up!! 

  • Some Books that will get you interested in Sci-fi! 

  • School wide contests (student duet videos for engagement) 


I went on Tiktok and found some great platforms and themes plus ideas that I really liked : 





Scope 

My scope will be broad but within school topics and I won’t cover current events  for example politics but I will cover current events for the school like any upcoming changes to curriculum for teachers or parents. 


Design Considerations 

Tik Tok is a great platform because it’s short videos and really captures lots of minds. As (Tang, 2019) mentioned, the target users of Tiktok are young people as 79% of the total users are younger than 30, they like short videos and personalized content. Hence It’s also important to have set boundaries of what we want to follow such as : 

  • No use of slangs (So that everyone would understand)

  • Videos are no longer than 30 seconds or make it into part 1 part 2s

  • Use the auto generated text to speech for accessibility

  • Stay within the topic of school 

  • Videos to be approved by at least the librarian but ideally also an administrative team member and a teacher 

  • Add trending sounds and music 


Further explorations 

I will continue to research online and on Tiktok to further my project and to narrow down topics for the Tiktok page. 


Another Key Idea I was brainstorming with was a Youtube Video! 

Youtube allows for longer videos than Tiktok 


While keeping the ideas, content, audiences and scope the same. I think of Youtube as another possible platform because of the ability to upload longer videos which wouldn’t be constrained as it would be on Tiktok (only 60s allowed per video). Youtube is better than Tiktok in these ways (Adobe, 2023):

  • Can include both short and longer videos 

  • Better for more informative content and how products work 

  • Allows for users to decide what videos to watch and more control to search 

  • Youtube allows for editing within the platform and allows users to edit more comprehensive videos



But worse than Tiktok in these ways :

  • Tiktok is more authentic due to it’s short form nature (snappy, concise and not overly edited) 

  • Tiktok is better for small businesses to thrive

  • Tiktok has better algorithm to allow for creators to find other similar creators 

  • Youtube has become saturated and may struggle to find following and a community 

  • Tiktok has an easier platform to enter



Conclusions 

To draw what i've learned in the course, I realized these platforms could also serve as announcements within the school and can also promote books the library to further a reading culture. 


Check out some Tiktok and Youtube Videos from other Teachers and Librarians! 


https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMjcHRqNx/ (Day in Life of an Elementary School Librarian) 


https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMjcHY6Xc/ (Top 5 Tech Tools I Wish I Knew Sooner) 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBILVAzt9kg (50 Free Tech Tools for Teachers) 






References : 


Adobe, A. (2023, August 9). Tiktok vs YouTube: Which is worth your time? . TikTok vs YouTube: Which is worth your time? https://www.adobe.com/express/learn/blog/tiktok-vs-youtube 

  • Rohrlick, P. (2004). Valenza, joyce kasman. power tools recharged; 125+ essential forms and presentations for your school library information program. Kliatt.

Tang, D. (2019). The New Situation of Marketing in the Self-Media Era-Taking Tik Tok as an Example. 2nd Int. Wprkshop Adv. Soc. Sci.(IWASS 2019), 1557-1560.


Yang, Y., & Zilberg, I. E. (2020). Understanding Young Adults' TikTok Usage. Dostupno na.


Yang, S., Zhao, Y., & Ma, Y. (2019, July). Analysis of the reasons and development of short video application-Taking Tik Tok as an example. In Proceedings of the 2019 9th International Conference on Information and Social Science (ICISS 2019), Manila, Philippines (pp. 12-14).


Comments

  1. Hi Michelle, I am exploring TikTok as well as a way for me to gather videos on equity, diversity and inclusion. Honestly, I am looking at TikTok in the hopes I don't have to create my own videos but I do agree with you - there are so many really good teachers and teacher accounts out there right now. I think all teachers should be checking it out. We are past the days when we just throw a movie on for the whole block and ask viewers to take notes. We need to keep them short and sweet and accessible for both adults and students. I applaud your decision to create an account for TLs. I will definitely be following you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this post interesting - I personally ended up choosing Instagram as a platform for my final project. I like how social media is a built in way to share your ideas and learnings, without asking others to go to a new website or online spot. I did consider TikTok - but was a bit intimidated by it! - But you've inspired me to at least begin to dabble in TikTok and create an account so I can understand it's purpose more! I'll follow you when I do:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very timely and so engaging! As a digital dinosaur, I had thought to try and dive into the social media platforms but they were very overwhelming and intimidating but you have a clear grasp and skill! One aspect that might be helpful for old school teachers like me could be a discussion of the legal realm - it's something we don't really know much about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. TikTok and YouTube are great ideas because when someone is subscribed, they automatically get updates when they scroll -- rather than a blog where you have to check periodically to see if there is a new post or add it to a feedly account. My only concern is when I had social media, I followed teacher accounts and then I found I couldn't find a good balance of work/home. Work followed me home and my mind would start to spin with ideas (which is exciting, but also not healthy). Instead, you might want to suggest staff have a separate "teacher" account where when they feel the capacity to be inspired, they can go to that account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, if you're making videos and need to record your screen, I suggest Loom (it's free for educators!). It's super easy to use and has a lot of different options as to what part of your screen is recorded.

      Delete
  5. I appreciate the practical nature of the project that you are considering and that it connects to several of our key themes. You have also carefully considered the pros and cons between TikTok and YouTube and are backing your ideas with reading and research. The creation of a TikTok account on its own will not fulfill the requirements for this course.The scope should be the equivalent of curating resources for, designing and building a 5-page website. Aspects you will want to consider include a fulsome plan on how you will share this work with your learning community. Additionally, beyond creating several posts you would want to craft a detailed plan on how you will continue to post and share. This plan should be built so that it could be a model for others who might be interested in learning from your work - perhaps a living document that provides a “How To Guide” for TL?. Finally, if your intended audience is students you will want to consider TikToks age restrictions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find the idea of a school TikTok to be very interesting but also a bit nerve wracking! I explored a YouTube account early on in the pandemic but kept it within the most secure settings. Only people I directly shared the links with could see and access my videos. I'm still exploring my online presence but I can see you are really moving forward with what that can look like in your SLLC. I wonder if you feel you might get pushback from staff or parents from using TikTok?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Love of Reading

Module 8 : Developing World Libraries & Mobile Devices